(I know, I know, this is a one off maybe)
Music is literally a lifeline – I carry my headphones and ipod/phone everywhere. Music has got me out of a lot of PD situations.
- Silent discotheque in the living room at 2am – unfortunately PD doesn’t sleep. So a new ‘thing’ is my left arm kicking off which is twaddle in the middle of the night – dyskenesia.
- When I freeze walking, music can get me walking again.
- When my mood crashes and I my eyes leak for no apparent reason … Music lifts my dopamine mood.
- When I seize up I flail about and darnse madly to loosen up.
And so many other situations.
Music is so important… lots of things I do revolve around it :
- Carrying my headphones and ipod/phone everywhere.
- Weekly Karaoke in a local pub (I literally clear the bar, I assume they are dashing to see if I am available on Spotify).
- Attending darnsing classes.
- Watching and darnsing to local bands.
- Learning piano and bass guitar.
- Incorporating darnse and walking backwards and sideways in ‘getting from A-B’ (vital as I am not allowed to drive atm on the advice of my Consultant – just another nail in the twaddle).
- And obviously ‘writing the Musical’ … more about that later.
So if you are a pwp (that’s not a ‘polite Wolverhampton penquin, but a ‘person with Parkinson’s), it is worth listening to a few tunes to see if they help.
This list is my list, which I am adding to all of the time …
And also some of the tracks have rude words in them …
In much the same way as someone must like twiglets otherwise presumably they wouldn’t be sold … music is very personal.
Anyway tis rude to copy …
So please create your own playlist …
Disclaimer – these songs help me, but I cannot be responsible if they have a different/no affect on you. They help me to walk, relax, lift my mood – if they make you sneeze, eat squid and/or file your bank statements then, although the final one is useful, please try something else.
Trainwreck 1979 – Death from above 1979
Mr Brightside – The Killers
The Globalist (specifically at 4.23) – Muse
Psycho – Muse
Vertigo – U2
Rock Lobster – B52s
Kiwi – Harry Styles
Five Colours in Her Hair (US version) – McFly
Take Me Out – Franz Ferdinand
Can’t Stop – Red Hot Chilli Peppers
I Only Lie when I Love You – Royal Blood
Figure It Out – Royal Blood
Na Na Na Naaa – Kaiser Chief
Step Ball Change